We inform you that on this website we use our own and third-party cookies to collect information about its use, improve our services and, where appropriate, display advertising by analyzing your browsing habits. You can expressly accept its use by pressing the "ACCEPT" button or configure and select the cookies you want to accept or reject in the settings. You can also get more information about our cookie policy here.

The global fashion business journal

Jun 15, 20245:20pm

The Kooples lands in Portugal: opens in Porto and Lisbon

The French premium fashion company has landed in the country with two concessions in Spanish department store El Corte Inglés. 

Nov 29, 2019 — 9:00am
Daniela García

The Kooples lands in Portugal: opens in Porto and Lisbon



The Kooples raises its expansion in the South of Europe. The French premium fashion company has landed in Portugal with two concessions in Spanish department stores El Corte Inglés in Lisbon and Porto. 


These will be the company’s first points of sale in the country. The Kooples has worked with El Corte Inglés before in Spain, where it operates shop-in-shops in cities like Barcelona, Madrid and Malaga.


The French premium fashion company was acquired this year by Swiss holding Maus Frères, also owner of Lacoste. When the group acquired the company stated that it wanted to boost its internationalization.




The swiss holding, owner also of Gant and Aigle acquired a majority stake in the company for an amount that was not disclosed. The Kooples signed last April a new chief executive officer, with the goal of leading the company’s new phase to increase its internationalization and boost its growth. 


Until the acquisition by Maus Frères, the company was owned by founding family Elicha, who controlled 80% of the shares, while the remaining 20% was owned by LBO France fund. The company is present in 14 markets worldwide and ended its fiscal year 2018 with a revenue of 227 million euros. 


In the last couple of months some other companies have chosen Portugal to reinforce its business. North Sails,  for example, plans to land in the country next year, while Irish fashion retailer Primark opened in October its largest Portuguese store. Another of the brands that landed in the country is Hackers, that opened a store in Lisbon. 

Participation rules



Validation policy for comments: 

MDS does not perform prior verification for the publication of comments. However, to prevent anonymous comments from affecting the rights of third parties without the ability to reply, all comments require a valid email address, which won’t be visible or shared.
Enter your name and email address to be able to comment on this news: once you click on the link you will find within your verification email, your comment will be published.

0 comments — Be the first to comment